Thursday, October 21, 2004

I love Magazines!

Hello out there!

I do love magazines, and every once in a while one of them has an issue that rises above... you know what I mean? Everything in it works for you. Well, National Geographic did that for me this month. Excellent articles, very ecologically focused.

You want to know the surprising effect of Wolves on the riverside ecosystem of Yellowstone? And did you know that the Sahara desert used to be home to that water loving giant - hippopotamuses?

Check out the article on Hawi"i Volcanoes Natural park, for inspiration and a description of the plants that thrive on barren lava fields.

Most spectacular, I thought, was an article on a ingenous community in Columbia. Their care for their mountainous home with a sacred respect and believe that "if this mountain is not cared for, the entire world will get sick." What a different state we would be in if we all cared for the land we inhabit with that thought in mind.

The Arctic foxes, in addition to the spectacular photography you'd expect of NG, discusses the boom and bust nature of Arctic fox populations.

Finally, an article on Louisiana's wetlands stunned me. Read it!

js