Wednesday, October 06, 2004

NCIBA Book Fair

So I spent part of last weekend at the Northern California Independent Booksellers Association (NCIBA) trade show in Oakland. It's amazing. For book lovers, it's like all the candy you can eat, all day, for free. I met a bunch of new publisher reps, and some new book buyers. Saw tons of great new books, and I'm sort of overwhelmed at the moment.

My bedside collection has exploded. I had four books stacked up there on friday. Now I have about 10 books on the table that I want to read first, and a couple of shopping bags full on the floor, that I want to read second. Talk about taking work home with you!

I think I'm going with Terry Gross first. I love her NPR program Fresh Air, and I love that her interview with Johnny Cash is in the book. I've been a fan of his since I was tiny. My family is tecnologically challenged - we never had a TV, and didn't have a stereo until I was about 12, but my dad did have a reel to reel casset player that I'm pretty sure had been my grandfathers. So, I think I'm the only 30 something around who grew up listening to Johnny Cash on reel to reel cassetts.

I'll let you know what I think of the book soon. Have you read it? What did you think?